Monday, February 28, 2011

Ummm... You Want That Double Spaced?

I am working on a project in word right now. Well, not really right now, I just stopped because I remembered a funny story about word. So, work - wait! - I'll be right back.

When I was about 13, I had already learned to type, but was still not that literate about the typing lingo. Truth be told, I didn't have a clue! I was also attending a Bible Study, which was lead by my youth pastor and his wife.

The study was good -required homework - I liked it. For one of the books we read, The Cross and The Switchblade, we were required to write a four page paper response about how it had impacted us. There was a brief discussion about not worrying much about the length, because he (the youth pastor) wanted it double spaced. This struck me as extremely odd. WHY? Didn't make much sense to me. It seemed like it'd be a waste of space, which translates to a waste of paper. (Totally grew up in Santa Cruz!) But oh well, I'd do whatever he said.

I worked on that paper for what seemed like ages. Four pages is a lot to write about, particularly when the topic is all about how the book changed your perspective/life/thoughts/desires...

After I'd finished a dear friend came over and I asked her to read the paper. She was in the study as well, and reminded me that I needed to double space the work. I told her I had double spaced it, and she respond that I had not. After I explained and showed her that I indeed HAD double spaced the paper, she showed me what double spacing meant. You all know already right? I had been double spacing each time I needed to hit the space bar.

The paper ended up being eight pages double spaced, and even though the youth pastor commented that I had really written a lot, I was embarrassed enough to never tell him why.

No comments: