Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Have a Laugh with Aesop's Fables

I love what I do for work. One of the tasks I am doing right now includes reading through fantastic Aesop's Fables to pick a good one. I found this fable and thought it was so funny - funny enough to share at least.
 The Bald Man and the Fly
  

A FLY bit the bare head of a Bald Man who, endeavoring to destroy it, gave himself a heavy slap. Escaping, the Fly said mockingly, "You who have wished to revenge, even with death, the Prick of a tiny insect, see what you have done to yourself to add insult to injury?' The Bald Man replied, "I can easily make peace with myself, because I know there was no intention to hurt. But you, an ill-favored and contemptible insect who delights in sucking human blood, I wish that I could have killed you even if I had incurred a heavier penalty."

Moral: Revenge will hurt the avenger


Perhaps I love the baldness of the man, or the cruel mocking of the fly. Perhaps it is my agreement with the man - offing one fly (who has bitten you!) is worth a heavier penalty don't you think?

2 comments:

Zaiah 'n Lis said...

What a great little story, I feel for the man too.

Krista said...

Love it!