Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wind and The Window Flower by Robert Frost

Growing up I loved real things. Things that made sense - were clear - could happen. Fairy tales were hard to understand, and completely unbelievable. And I didn't like them. Science Fiction - even worse! I was allowed to read whatever I liked, and that resulted in reading some very silly books, and skipping some others that would have done me good.

It also resulted in a deep love and connection to reading, which I treasure today. So I'm not complaining a bit. I'm very thankful for the encouragement I was given to read, read, read.

One of the interesting things that occurred though, was a very difficult time understanding poetry. Because poetry works you over, painting pictures and giving new meaning to words I found it confusing and well - boring. And so, I didn't read poetry.

Somehow, that changed. I started to enjoy thinking more deeply. I liked to look at pictures. I learned to love not understanding something the first time I looked at it. And then, for the first time in my life, when I read this poem, I was stirred. So I thought I'd share it with you.

Wind and Window Flower

by Robert Frost

Lovers, forget your love,

And list to the love of these,

She a window flower,

And he a winter breeze.

When the frosty window veil

Was melted down at noon,

And the caged yellow bird

Hung over her in tune,

He marked her though the pane,

He could not help but mark,

And only passed her by

To come again at dark.

He was a winter wind,

Concerned with ice and snow,

Dead weeds and unmated birds,

And little of love could know.

But he signed upon the sill,

He gave the sash a shake,

As witness all within

Who lay that night awake.

Perchange he half prevailed

To win her for the flight

From the firelight looking-glass

And warm stove-window light.

But the flower leaned aside

And thought of naught to say,

And morning found the breeze

A hundred miles away.

1 comment: