Thursday, November 15, 2012

Failing on Getting it DONE...

Sometimes it's easy to share only the good things going on in life. And it's easy for me to get caught up in that. (Like my pottery in the last post.)
Today I got that AWFUL email from American Express - the one that tells you: 
"You're late on payment." 
Now, I know that some people truly cannot pay their bill every now and then - which could make seeing this message all the more stressful.
But I can pay my bill. And I do (mostly) pay my bills on time.
 Because this is now the third time I've done this in a year I thought I should write about it.
Once I thought I was good with my money. 
I don't spend much of it.
I save a lot of it.
I feel like I'm pretty generous with it.
But then I met my newest brother-in-law Adam.
And I got close to someone who's good with money.
And I realized that I'm not.
I'm just not.
Sure, I've only been in debt ONCE. (Long story... maybe for another time...)
And that was short-lived.
And I've saved for school (for the most part.)
And I've saved for my car.
And my other important life goals.
But it's in some of these little things... like knowing when to pay my bills. 
And having a real budget that works and doesn't lie.
And remembering when I get paid. 
(Seriously I have forgotten to collect payment from families I tutor for... Once I even lost a check and didn't realize it until the person who paid me called to ask why I didn't cash the check!)
In those areas I just fall FLAT.
Last week at church my pastor Danny talked about loving God with our whole heart, soul and strength. He recommended we take some time to look at our lives and 
figure out what direction we needed to go 
- areas we needed to focus on - 
for the next year.
One of the areas I'm committed to growing in is financial responsibility. 
I want to be wise.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

I do this all the time, not because I cant pay but I just simply forget...Thats when I finally just set up an auto pay for american express. ;)