Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Day of Reflection

After the sermon at my church Hope last week I started thinking that I really needed a day to reflect on where I was - where I was going - and why it mattered.
I started at Cabrillo again 1 1/2 years ago. I had gone through another 
program and graduated  but for various reasons 
I wasn't able to continue in that field. 
It was a great experience - I loved everything I learned and I've put it to use. 
I knew when I started back at Cabrillo I'd be at the beginning again - and to be honest 
I had no clue what I was going to do when I was finished!
It was, perhaps, one of the first times in my life I really 
stepped out in faith and just went for it. 
And my life is better because of that choice.

Back to reflections though!
So today I had no work - homework is caught up - it was time to reflect. 
I thought deeply about where I am - and found a few areas I was really happy about. 
(Something I hadn't anticipated!)

I'm really happy about the place I worship.
I'm really happy about the school I attend.
I'm really happy about the place I work.
I'm really happy about the living space I have.
I'm really happy about the relationships I am in.

Interestingly, it was in these areas that I also saw the most need for growth.

I need to get more involved in community. 
It's a place I need to make time for investment.

I need to focus better and manage time well so I can be a better student. 
I want to be faithful in the small things and really take time to learn. 
At the same time, I want to engage more with people in (and out of) class.

I need to invest in learning how to do things more at work. 
I haven't memorized a few things that I really should know... 
I'm going to spend time learning that so I will be a better asset 
to the amazing team of people I work with!

I need to care of my space with more diligence. 
That way, I will be able to open it up to others. 
Plus, having a neat, clean space inside 
is important for my well-being! 
And spending time gardening, and beautifying outside makes my heart soar!

I need to manage my life better so I can be available to be in relationships. 
I need to let me hearts gazed be fixed on Jesus so I'm more willing to take risks - 
conscious of the solid rock on which I stand. 
I also need to understand more fully my limitations to I don't over-extend as much.

I also want to play more music.

I'm eager to see how my life grows throughout the next year.
Knowing what and why I'm doing things should help me stay the course.

1 comment:

David L. Bertsch said...

I like how you reflect and write about your thoughts. It's inspiring and encouraging, too. Love you.