Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Powerful Influences

I love laundry. That's no lie. I love the way you can put the laundry in the washing machine, then hang it out, and finally fold it and put it away. I love that when doing my laundry everything fits in it's place. It's one of those chores that is possible to finish up in a day. (I know, I'm ONE SINGLE GIRL. So all you moms out there who feel like this is bogus - just remember that.) Anyway, I love pairing socks, and getting clothing off the line. The delightful smell of cleanness... It's just a great chore!

In fact, I remember traveling to see some good friends in Tennessee a number of years ago - they had many children and tons of laundry. My one "goal" was to catch up on the laundry for them. I'm pretty sure I got to the bottom of it while I was out there.

But back to the point - I'm visiting my sister and her family right now. And a number of years ago my sister and her daughter (my niece) came to live at my parents home. They shared my room and I spent a lot of time with her daughter Providence. A LOT OF TIME. I remember taking her outside with me to get the laundry - she wasn't able to walk yet - and telling her of it's glory. The way everything smelled wonderful - the way it got finished - the way everything got a little crispy. And I would tell her that someday she was going to grow up and love laundry too. I remember encouraging her while I folded clothes that this was SO cool. The BEST ever. I would smile and nod and well... talk.

Guess what she did today? She asked me (begged me really) to let her do laundry the "old-fashioned" way. Oh please, please, please she said. Can you imagine my glee?

adding the soap.

happily getting the water ready.

getting ready for the plunge.
 

1 comment:

Becky or MomS/Gram said...

Awww how fun. She sure is pretty! <3