Thursday, December 25, 2008

My Good Luck

My kind and generous in-laws (that is to say, my older sisters in-laws) gifted Ivanna and me with a 1990 Jeep six long years ago. I fell in love with this old, slightly broken down, heap of metal. It is a beauty. Each accident it's been in somehow adds to its charm. It was given to us because it was "on it's last legs." About a year and a half ago (that's right I had it for 4 1/2 years!) when I took a job in Campbell I decided I needed something a bit more reliable. I wanted to be able to start the car each day and feel pretty confident I'd make it to wherever I aimed to go.

So I bought a 2000 Mazda Protege. It hasn't really been the dream boat I'd hoped for. I had a host of trouble when I first got it. The air conditioning unit didn't work. I normally don't use the air - windows down work well for me. But I went on a month long - 13 state trip with my sister and niece and well - we needed air. That cost around $500.00 to fix. Gulp! I also replaced the tires and then the brakes. Fast forward to the last few weeks. The alternator failed and so my sweet papa replaced it for me. The alternator belt snapped off - he replaced it. It snapped off again - he replaced it - but not before I had to get towed home! That was a long day. Then it snapped off again. (Truly it happened three times!) It now seems fixed. I had him drive it around on Sunday. I was doing errands downtown Wednesday when I noticed my car was over heating. My dad hasn't fixed this newest problem yet - but I have no doubt he'll be able to do it. He's quite amazing like that.

Anyway, I'm hopeful my luck has changed because I got the almond in the rice pudding last night - and I'm supposed to have good luck for a year. Boo-yeah!

(And really, I didn't cheat to get that almond. This is for you Hua.)

1 comment:

Hua said...

There's no doubt that you didn't cheat to get the almond since Kauwila handed you the bowl. I'm sure you're glad not to receive a dare. Thank my mom-in-law for keeping with the rice pudding tradition!

"Good Luck!"