Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Penguins - A Great Read

I read a wonderful book over the summer called Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading it came recommended (and loaned) to me from Leah. While reading it, I was super thrilled about the ideas it gave me - and the connections I was making. Taking apart books, getting to deeper levels, uncovering the mystery seemed within grasp (finally!) I had begun doing this long ago, but to be honest, I wasn't that good at it.
Anyway, my friend Hua also read the book and with her children we started Animal Farm which is an excellent book. I'm grateful to be putting into practice some of the things I learned.
Everyone who is home educating, teaching or interested in literature should read Deconstructing Penguins.

2 comments:

Deb said...

thanks for the tip- I will place it on my must-read list.

Lis said...

I am going to check this out from my library hopefully it will help me in my new book club.