Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Charmed Life




I have been meaning to post about our newest addition. I claimed this post weeks ago - but between trips and redoing my bedroom I've not gotten around to it until now.
We have darling baby chicks. I love babies - and I really love baby chicks. It's totally adorable to see them following their mother around the yard. The babies are a bit nervous of us yet, but we're working on them.
Here are some pictures. (Finally pictures on my blog!)
The story: We had a really wonderful rooster, but his life was ended over the Christmas Holiday. But Mother hen went off to make herself a nest anyway, laid about 9 perfect eggs, and began to sit. A brooder, hurray! I felt badly for her right away, because she wasn't going to actually have babies. Even though she was a chicken and wouldn't really understand. The poor girl was doing what God made her to do! It didn't seem right, so we got some fertilized eggs (4 of them) with our friends from a ranch. Mother hen was only able to hatch one of the eggs. My dad decided Mother hen probably wanted a bigger family. So he went to the feed store, told them our story, and they gave him two newly hatched chicks. Those little chicks joined the family, and they have lived happily since.

3 comments:

Lis said...

Providence loved hearing the chicks peeping on the phone while grandpa feed them last night.

Rosie said...

I love the baby chicks. And what a sweet mother hen. Sounds like she will make a good mother, with a little human intervention of course.

Ivanna said...

What cute pictures of the chicks. They are so sweet running around the yard looking for bugs.